Free Trial Session!
We offer two free trial Judo sessions to any student interested in giving the Club a try. If you are not a student, you can come train with us anyway by purchasing a day pass at the Energybase reception (£8 if you mention you come for Judo). In order to access your free sessions, follow these three easy steps:
- Create an online account following this link.
- Log in and purchase the free trial in the Judo Page. NB: Please note that these are valid 7 days from date of purchase.
- Show the confirmation email at the Energybase the day you come.
For those wanting to join the club, you can find a detailed description of full membership costs at the end of this page.
University of London Judo Club
Judo is an established and welcoming club, catering to all from beginners to black belts (male and female). We're lucky enough to have both a spacious and easy to reach gym, and a former Olympic squad member as our coach. For the uninitiated: Judo involves throws, hold downs, and locks, rather than strikes. It's an effective and fun form of exercise with opportunity for competition, graded progression, and of course after session drinks!
What We Do
A typical session begins with a solid half hour warm up followed by some ne-waza (ground work). We then do some standing uchi komi (technique repetition and throw practice) and then work through specific techniques, followed by 15/20 minutes of randori (free practice). In 2018/2019 we started a Wednesday session more technique oriented, where we focus on practicing and improving various technical aspects of our Judo.
If you are a beginner, our coach will look out for you and ease you into the sessions, at times dividing the class in two to cover different levels, so our Club is the perfect place to start if you have never done Judo!
After sessions you'll usually find people heading up to the bar on Fridays or meeting upstairs to head for lunch nearby on Sunday.
If attending your first session don't worry about having a Judo-Gi (the white suits): standard long-sleeved gym clothes are fine, and make sure to trim nails, remove jewellery and tie back any hair. Don’t forget your water bottle and a pair of flip-flops to get from the changing rooms to the mats!
When and Where We Meet
Sessions (training continues throughout the Summer Break):
- Wednesday 8-9:30 pm (technique-oriented, suitable for beginners and advanced)
- Friday 7-9.30 pm (advanced, followed by the Student Central bar/nearby pub)
- Sunday 12-2 pm (beginners and advanced, followed by lunch nearby)
Location: Energybase Gym in the basement of the Student Central (formerly ULU) building on Malet Street (besides UCL / BBK /SOAS, postcode WC1E 7HY). We usually gather in the Café by the main reception, and head down to the gym 10 minutes before practice to start putting out the mats.
Nearest stations: Goodge Street/Russell Square/Euston/Euston Square.
Who are the coaches?
Joe Doherty - Former GB Olympic Squad member, World Master Gold and Silver medalist, Joe has been coaching our club for over 15 years. A certified Level 2 BJA Instructor and 5th-Dan black belt besides, Joe is an excellent and supportive instructor, always on hand to coach at competitions as well as our regular sessions.
Besides Joe there are a plethora of top judoka who are kind enough to demonstrate their favourite techniques or fill in when necessary, including (but not limited to): Se'un Rotimi, a former GB World Master's Squad member and Level 2 Instructor; Niccolò Salvatori, 3rd-Dan and UKCC Level 2 Coach; or Fabian Sailer, 1st-Dan and UKCC Level 2 Coach.
- Captain: Megan Bowie
- Treasurer: Jonas Decker
- Secretary: Andreas Panagiotou
- Competitions Officer: Shehzad Kiani
Kyu Grade Cup (October)
- Andreas Panagiotou - Gold
Help for Heros (November)
University Championships (November)
- Andreas Panagiotou - Silver
- Oriol Pavón - Bronze
- Megan Bowie - Bronze
Izegem Open (January)
British Universities & Colleges Sport – BUCS (February)
- Maria Artamonova - Gold
- Florian Hansen - Bronze
- Andreas anagiotou - Bronze
We always attend the London Universities Open in November, as well as heading up to Sheffield for BUCS in February. The highlight of the year however is probably the Sheffield University run team competition in March, involving a sociable mix of sleeping on the matt, pizza and club night.
Besides these there may be various other tournaments or joint training sessions with fellow University clubs. For instance in 2015/16 we visited Cambridge JC, Oxford JC, attended the Southend International and the West London Student Beginners competition among others. In the summer of 2017 we attended a week long Judo training event in Italy with opportunities to take part in other activities such as white water rafting.
If interest is enough we even head abroad (often pairing with other London clubs), having attended tournaments in Paris, Lille, Venice and others in past years, and even been part of a select group invited to visit Japan for both training/competition and cultural exchange.
In addition to competition, regular Kyu Gradings are organised throughout the year during our usual sessions to ensure everyone has a chance at progression. Plus there is always a good Christmas social to look forward to in early December.
Costs and Memberships (2019/2020)
How to become a member
If you struggle at any step please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.
- Get a Student Central ID card. These are issued at Student Central reception desk and are free for any University of London student (bring your student ID!). Otherwise it costs £40 for Associates. See the Student Central website for eligibility.
- Create an online account on the Student Central Website.
- Log in at the Student Central Judo Website and purchase a Judo Club Membership (see prices below) or a Free Trial pass (if you are a student and want to try our Club for the first time).
- Buy the Energybase Club Only Pass to gain yearly access to the facilities where we train (see below or get in touch for more information).
Summary of Prices (see below for detailed information)
|Session Fees (annual)
|BJA Licence (new)
|Student Central Card
|Energybase (Judo only)
|Energybase (with Gym&Pool)
||As of September 1st 2019, this option is no longer available
|Annual cost Judo
|Each session costs
||£1.37 + £8
*NB: All memberships expire on August 31st and must be renewed in September 1st. If you join after January or during the summer, please contact us by email before purchasing your membership.
Judo Club Membership and Session Fees
We hold sessions three times a week throughout the 4 terms of the year (Term 1: Oct-Dec, Term 2: Jan-Mar, Term 3: Apr-Jun, Summer Term: Jul-Sep), amounting to a total of 140 sessions. Club Membership and Session Fees can be purchased online (see products on the right) and allow our members to attend all training sessions, plus competition entries if you are a student. If you don’t qualify for a Student or Associate membership you can still join the Club as a Guest member (see below and also the Student Central website for eligibility). NB: Please note that Session Fees cover our Coach's salary and must be paid by the end of November (if paid annually) or by the end of the first month of each term. If you are here for a reduced period of time or you can only attend some sessions, please contact the Club's Committee to discuss alternative arrangements. All memberships expire on August 31st.
- Student Costs (equivalent to ~£1/session).
- Student Membership Costs - £45 (annual).
- Student Session Fees - £100 (annual) or £40/term.
- Associate Costs (equivalent to ~£1.5/session).
- Associate Membership Costs - £60 (annual).
- Associate Session Fees - £140 (annual) or £50/term.
- Guest Membership & Session Fees Costs - £150 (annual), £60 (one term), £20 (one month or 10 sessions).
- Guests holding a Judo Club annual/term/month membership have access to a discounted rate of £8 on the Energybase Day passes to attend the Judo sessions (otherwise £12.5, thereby supposing a more than £500 discount if you attend all sessions).
- If you are a Guest but can only come sporadically, please get in touch so we can advise you and find the most suitable alternative to your availability.
To join the Club, add the right combination of products (Membership + Session Fees) to the basket and proceed to payment. If you have any questions about this, get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Judo start-up Costs (Gi and BJA Licence)
Our Judo Club is a member of the British Judo Association, and as such you can benefit from insurance, the chance to grade up, and the ability to enter competitions when you purchase your BJA licence. If you are a student, the BJA has a Student Voucher Scheme for the heavily discounted price of £30 which provides you with the BJA licence (otherwise £29), your first grading fee (£12), and a Judogi (worth £35).
All members attending training sessions in Energybase facilities are required to purchase an Energybase Club Only Pass. These can be purchased from the Energybase reception desk downstairs and are only available to members who have paid their Club subscription in full (the email confirmation from the Student Central website is proof of club membership, so keep the emails!). Club Only passes do not confer rights to use any of the facilities in Energybase other than those the student is using in club training sessions and only at club training session times.
- As of 2019, the Annual Club Only Pass costs £60 for Students and Associaties.
- Guest Members must purchase a Day pass as mentioned above.
Please note that the annual discounted Energybase passes are tied to the Judo Club membership and as such they expire on August 31st.
Donate to the Club
If you would like to support the UL Judo Club by sponsoring a student to start or keep doing Judo, who wouldn't be able to do so otherwise, or to help cover their competition expenses, you can now contribute with a donation. You can donate by registering as a Guest (if you don't already have an account) and purchasing the Judo Donation products on the right. A donation of £100 would cover a student's training costs for a year, whereas a donation of £25 would allow a student to enter and attend a competition in the London area. If you wish to donate a different amount, please choose a combination of the available products or get in touch at email@example.com. Your donations will ensure that everyone that wishes to practice Judo can do so, will support those that wish to represent the Club in competitions, and will help the Club train new coaches to ensure we continue to have the best possible environment to learn and improve as a group. Thank you!